Animal Services is primarily charged with the responsibility of enforcing Chapter 5 of the Code of Miami-Dade County, as well as Florida Statute 828, which deals primarily with animal cruelty issues. Unlike private shelters that have limitations on the number of pets they accept, we accept all animals. At Animal Services, none are turned away and each year the shelter impounds more than 37,000 dogs and cats. Our goal is to reunite lost pets with their owners and find life-long homes for as many animals as possible while providing proper care for them while they're at the shelter.
Animal Services was originally a part of the Dade County Public Safety Department, and was later designated as the Animal Care and Control Division under the Public Works Department.
In 2001, the Miami-Dade Police Department took over the operation, and on October 1, 2005, the Animal Services Department (ASD) was created as a stand-alone entity in an effort to provide focused care for the County’s animal population. By becoming an independent entity, the Animal Services Department will be able to concentrate its resources on its core mission of caring for the animals in its custody. ASD receives approximately 10 percent of its budget from the County’s General Operating Fund, while the remaining 90 percent is derived through dog license tag sales, shelter fees, enforcement fines, private grants, and donations.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.