As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Sec. 5-7. License tags required for all dogs; conditions for issuance of tags.
Sec. 5-7. – Licenses required for all dogs; conditions for issuance of licenses.
- Every person owning, keeping, or harboring any dog over four (4) months of age within Miami-Dade County, Florida, or bringing any dog over four (4) months of age into this County shall, within thirty (30) days of the dog entering this County, register the dog with the Department and obtain a license, which the dog shall wear at all times. The registered owner must be at least 18 years of age.
- The Department shall require, as a prerequisite to the issuance of a license for any dog, satisfactory proof that such dog has been vaccinated against rabies in accordance with the provisions of Section 5-6. The official certificate prescribed pursuant to Section 5-6 shall be accepted as conclusive evidence as to the fact and time of vaccination, or a certificate providing that vaccination for rabies would endanger the health of the particular dog, as provided by Section 5-6 of this chapter, may be accepted.
- Each license shall be renewed annually by the anniversary of the dog's most recent rabies vaccination, even if the rabies vaccination is effective for more than one year; it is provided, however, that the Department may issue a multi-year license that is valid for the duration of a multi-year rabies vaccination, and such license shall not require renewal until the re-vaccination is due. If the dog is not timely re-vaccinated, and the license not timely renewed, then the registered owner shall be subject to civil penalties in accordance with this chapter, but thereafter the due date for the renewal of the license shall be the anniversary of the untimely re-vaccination.
License fees shall be established by implementing order approved by the Board of County Commissioners based on the following categories:
- Sterilized dog 12 months old or more;
- Intact dog 12 months old or more;
- Dog between 4 months old and 12 months old ("Junior license");
- Dog owned by a low-income person as defined by implementing order approved by the Board of County Commissioners; and
- Replacement for a lost or damaged license.
- Service animals and working police dogs and fire rescue dogs shall be exempt from license fees.
It shall be a violation of this section to fail to timely register a dog, to fail to timely obtain or renew a license, or to fail to have the dog wear the license.
The Department shall issue a renewal notice at least 45 days before the license is due for renewal. It is provided, however, that issuance of a renewal notice shall not be deemed to be a prerequisite to enforcement for the failure to initially register the dog within 30 days of entering the County as required by this section.
Any person who is fined under this section for an intact dog may have the penalty reduced to the level of a sterilized dog by having the dog sterilized within thirty (30) days of receipt of the civil violation notice.
Exemptions. This section shall not apply to greyhounds kept, maintained or brought into the County for the purpose of racing at licensed greyhound tracks, or to dogs used as part of entertainment acts when properly controlled, or to dogs that remain in the County for a period of less than thirty (30) days.
Requirement to Provide Notice of Change of Ownership or Status Change.
- The registered owner shall notify the Department, prior to the license renewal deadline, of any change in status of the dog, such as if the animal has been moved to a new address, lost, stolen, sold, or given away or has died.
- Prior to transferring ownership of a dog, the registered owner shall submit to the Department, on forms prescribed by the Director, the name, address, and telephone number of the new owner and an acknowledgement, signed by the new owner, that the new owner shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of this chapter.
- It shall be a violation of this section to falsely report a change in status. In addition to any other applicable criminal and civil penalties, and civil violation notices that were closed, voided, or otherwise resolved may be reinstated against a registered owner who falsely claims a status change.
Dog Tag Information
License tags are required for all dogs.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44:26 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.